Phase 2

YES hi!  Me again.

So after I complained about the big ole impersonal surgeon office not calling me….. they called me.  I should have actually remembered that this particular surgeon works Monday-Thursday.. ha.

The pathology came back on his little leg, and he said “complex adenocarcinoma.”  And then a lot of unhappy sounding words about how prognosis isn’t always great, and we can only monitor because surgically we’ve sort of reached our limit, so we should talk to an oncologist to come up with the next plan.

Google searches for adenocarcinoma are not entirely helpful.  Like this:
Adenocarcinomas, on the other hand, affect glands and organs and are systemically aggressive.

AWESOME.

Oh and this,
The prognosis for most with organ-based adenocarcinoma isn’t favorable because these fast-growing malignant tumors metastasize. If treated for organ-based adenocarcinoma, your cat might experience a good quality of life for a year or more. If a mammary adenocarcinoma is found early, before it is has spread, your cat can live for years after surgical removal of the tumor.

So, at this point, I have no idea.  I don’t know how early we found it.  The vet said the visible tumors were cleanly removed, so it could be fine.  But making a jump from sarcoma to adenocarcinoma seems very bad.  So, chemo it is??

Comments

Yeah,all this mumbo jumbo can sound crazy scary and co fusing as heck!!

But one thing for certain, statistics don’t mean a whole lot around here!! Every cat is different…every dog is different…every journey unique in its own individual way!

Fedo does NOT have a time frame stamped on his butt!

When the forums are back up..which should be tomorrow…maybe you can plst over there and see if other kitth owners have more specific insight.

For now, just cut Dr. Google off and go play with Fredo! He’s feeling good snd that’s all that matters!

Set up the appt. with the Onco, discuss options snd then move forward.

We are here for you! We love this sweet Fredo!!

Hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Thanks 🙂 I should know better than to Google! I’m thinking since Stitches Removal Day is next Wednesday, I might try to coordinate the oncology appt the same day… less stress if we only have to pack him up once.

• Kerren says:

Hi Jaime,
    I understand that hearing these kind of words can be disturbing. Sally give great advice to put your attention on loving Fredo and move forward when you get more information.

Did they run a pathology on the lymph nodes and/or do lung xrays? You might want a copy of the pathology reports to better understand what they are talking about – ask for an explanation of each line so you understand.

If there is any other treatment such as chemo you might want to ask for the studies that prove this is the best route to follow. For the fibrosarcoma that my cat Mona had some oncologists would recommend chemo and yet I’ve read studies that state there is no research that proves it extends the cat’s life. Neither the pathologist nor my vet recommended chemo for Mona.

So think positive until you know more. I can tell that both you and Fredo have great attitudes. He’s looking good in his favourite spot.

Kerren and Tripawd Mona

He did have the full CT scan and they didn’t see anything noticeable in the lungs.. so, that’s a plus. At this point the vet is confident there is nothing major, just microscopic cells that would most likely be taken care of with chemo. The oncologist our regular vet recommended does homeopathic intervention as well, so maybe we can discuss other options during that consult.

• Nicholas & Company says:

Did the surgeon mention where he thought the adenocarcinoma may have come from?

If it’s any consolation, Nick’s little “brother” was diagnosed with a ceruminous (read: earwax-producing)gland adenocarcinoma and underwent surgery to remove the affected ear canal. He will be celebrating three years cancer-free this Saturday.

There are many, many factors that go into determining the prognosis for cats with adenocarcinomas. I think talking to the oncologist is a smart move.

• rica55 says:

huh. So a totally different cancer from the toe? Crazy!
    Definitely go to the oncologist – I know that was a big turning point for me, we put a plan in place and got a lot of good answers.
    Let me know if you have any questions about the chemo. Jill did four rounds of IV chemo (carboplatin & doxorubicin). She handled it very very well.
    Sounds like he is recovering just great!!!!

Weird, right? So, concerning for me because I am just that person who worries. My husband told me that it was nothing that was terribly surprising though, which is true. Just gotta go forward with the onco appt and see what happens!