Happy Caturday! + I need help

National Cat Day, I hear…

It has been MONTHS!  Since I last updated, we’ve all moved to California.  Our cats LOVED the 6-hour road trip from Phoenix.  False.  They hated it.  I took our little girl and she meowed for the first three hours (and then of course, when she got quiet and fell asleep I assumed something was wrong with her), and my husband took Fredo and had an equally fun time.

So, a few pictures and then my latest struggle.

img_4215 img_4179

HIS cat house.. does not like to share.  Clearly.  Also no, neither of them goes inside.. not my greatest purchase.

HIS cat house.. does not like to share. Clearly. Also no, neither of them goes inside.. not my greatest purchase, but he likes to sleep on the top.

OKAY, now…

Fredo has always been a puker.  He gets a nervous stomach from just about everything; I know I’ve talked about this before.  If his dish gets too empty (never actually empty, mind you) he will wake the house in the middle of the night by sitting in the hallway meowing.  So, we feed him, and then he eats at hyper-speed and throws up.  Just an example.  Sometimes, it’s a hairball.  So LATELY he’s been doing the whole heaving thing and very little comes up, so of course I have gone to Google, and I’m told this can be a sign of blockage somewhere in the digestive tract.  Occasionally there is semi-digested food.  Then my husband made some joke about Daphne (other cat) gaining weight while Fredo seems to be getting smaller.  One thing that is true of tripawd kitties is that they sometimes tend to put on some weight due to decreased activity.  This has certainly been true for Fredo, but I wouldn’t say he’s ever verged on unhealthy.  So, anyway, he hasn’t been officially weighed since his last chemo appointment last August or September, and he was around 10 pounds consistently.  I weighed him today and he is 8.8!!!  Over 10% lost!  So, I’m freaking out.  He hasn’t been eating much, and when he does, he eventually throws up some of it.

What to doooooo.  Help me, Tripawd peeps.  We’re new to the area and haven’t established him with a new vet, and we JUST paid off his surgery and chemo in July.  I’m understandably hesitant about putting him through more vet visits and incurring more expenses.  I don’t even know how they treat a blockage, if that’s what it is.  Any holistic solutions out there?   I hate to think we put him through all of this just to get an extra year and a half out of him.  🙁 Of course my mind goes to the absolute worst.  I can’t wrap my head around losing him now.  So, all comments and suggestions welcome.

As a side note, I verged into cat lady territory and watched The Truth About Cats, which dug into the science behind the evolution of kitties.  So remarkable.  Cat lady for life.  <3 Go hug your kitties and wish them a Happy Cat Day!!

Comments
  • penny4weims says:

I can only tell you what happened with my dog when she ate and threw up quite often. It took awhile but I realized she was allergic to the protein and/or grain in her food. I changed both so don’t know for sure but it stopped her stomach upsets. Also my other 2 dogs eat way too fast so had to give them slow feed bowls. Don’t know if this is helpful for your kitty or not. Hope you figure it out soon.
    Penny

Thanks! I’ve wondered about the food, but we switched their food in February and I thought they were pretty stable on it. 🙁 It is actually for animals with sensitive stomachs lol.. so go figure. I will try to find slow feed bowls though! I’ve always thought they needed those anyway.

• otisandtess says:

Perhaps more smaller meals throughout the day? That might help you judge whether it is from eating too fast? And when did you move – change of routine issues? My Otis, a dog, did develop indigestion after chemo. We treated with Pepcid AC, but going too long between meals was a real problem for him. Not sure if the same can happen to kitties?

• cami says:

Is the thrown up food digested? If it looks like how it went in, that may be regurgitation instead of vomit. If you google, the causes and solutions are different. SHe may be eatting too fast, you could try adding spacers in her bowl to make her slow down as she takes bites or elevating her food. There is a ton of good info on slippery elm for digestive issues if you want to google. Good luck!

• purrkins says:

Smaller and more frequent meals spaced out during the day works a lot for kitties!
    Also if its dry food Fredo is on try some wet food. Either way I would try grain free for sure.
    There are so many things it could be to simple to not simple .
    I would be concerned with the weight loss too. Those are a few ideas to try.
    I hate to say what you dont hear but I would try to find a new vet and get things ruled out if things don’t improve shortly .
    Best of luck sure hoping its a simple food change. Keep watching the weight closely and look into some vets.

Thanks! I am living with in-laws right now, and unfortunately I’m not able to be as “hands on” with his feeding as I like to be, because he’s being fed by others in the house. Turns out he has been eating when my mother-in-law feeds him, which is a good thing but I’m a control freak so I just wish I had a better grasp on his habits. He is grain-free right now, and he refuses to eat wet food.. ugh. We’ve tried. Maybe I’ll give it another shot! I weighed him again though and he was up .3lbs which is a pretty good increase I thought.

Hacking without a hairball coming up could be something like asthma. Here’s some info that may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhseR7rZW3c

Hope you find an answer soon.

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

Thanks for the link!! I’m keeping an eye on it, he varies so much in his vomit habits lol. Sometimes undigested food, sometimes mostly digested food, sometimes just hairball and gross yellow stuff. He does seem to be eating more consistently now though.

Cute photos by the way! I love them both sitting on the cat house. Yup, just because we buy then a house doesn’t mean they’ll use it for that.

Your kitties are so colourful and look so soft. Are they related?

Kerren

Hi there! Sorry for the delay in response. Not related, they’re about 5 years apart. They eat Blue Wilderness Basics though and it has done wonders for their coats. They also groom obsessively (like most cats haha). I wanted them to use that cat house so badly.. I’d buy a larger one but pretty sure my husband would think I was insane. :\